I once saw a cartoon of a Saint, his arms outstretched, his gaze toward heaven. The caption read: “God, give me chastity… but not yet.”
I see this all the time. People say they want to get smart about money…and they really do…but…well…not yet. It’s called Resistance.
Resistance kicks in the moment you enter The Gap, the Gap being that space between where you are now and where you want to be.
The Gap is filled with tension. We humans hate tension. We’ll do anything to avoid it.
Resistance is not bad. It just means that something is changing. The key is to not let it stop you, at least not for long. How? Not by fighting it or trying to ignore it–but by working with it.
Here are 5 steps to Overcoming Resistance.
- Start by observing your resistance, without judgment. Just notice it’s there. Remind yourself it’s actually a good sign, proof that you are indeed changing,
- Then ask yourself some questions like: What am I afraid of? What is the payoff for staying where I am? What belief is my resistance reflecting?
- Create an affirmation such as: “I am confidently creating wealth.” “Learning about Money is fun.” “This is so easy.” (my personal favorite).
- Take small steps like simply flipping through Money magazine or organizing your papers or making an appointment with a financial planner.
- Get Support. No one will do this for you, but you don’t have to do it alone. Join my Money Monday Facebook group or start a financial book club with friends.
Let me know in the comments below how you’re fighting Resistance.